Salvation Army

Home Forums BLUE COLLAR SAINTS FORUM Salvation Army

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  revtom 8 months ago.

• Author

watch-pray
    Keymaster

This was posted by eeellama in the “Contact” section and I am copying it to the Forum:

Having been through an eye-opening experience with The Salvation Army, I can tell you firsthand that “soup, soap, and salvation” quickly become “soup, soap, and saving used clothing and furniture”. Feeding programs no longer required any hint of the gospel, church members were often absent–replaced by local realtors–from the Saturday morning meals. I had to fight to be able to present the Gospel. I had to fight for there to be a cross on the outside of our building.

The salvation of souls for this organization was replaced by “doing the most good”. The center of the Salvation Army world is donations–from the world. Our advisory board was made up of non-believers.

I once visited the Salvation Army in San Francisco. One corps had a makeshift prayer labyrinth taped to the floor. There were a number of old RCC practices I was seeing, and clearly there was no talk of repentance, sin, and holiness. When I asked one of the officers/ministers about the difficulty of working where sin was so rampant, his only response was that we can’t “judge” people. To acknowledge sin is fundamental to the faith once delivered to the saints!

Once, the Volunteers of America, an offshoot of The Salvation Army (TSA), was a church. In fact for tax purposes it still is. Yet nobody knows it, and nearly nobody knows TSA is a church. This is the path of every single church or parachurch that has not put sound doctrine and the gospel first. Quickly the gospel becomes “another gospel” of feeding, clothing, and then left-wing political action–eventually they deny the very words of the Bible, twisting their plain meaning to accepting and condoning (and celebrating!) the very sin Jesus died to save us from. The old mainline denominations have all followed this trajectory, and the few holdouts seem to also be going down the same path.

I used to live in California, where hostility to the gospel is pretty common. I now live in Texas where there is a Christian veneer–but make no mistake that the gospel is also being lost here. Those of us who “get it” need to become a lot more vocal–and likely unpopular. The other side has recently shown how vicious they are, and the days of being able to speak without penalty are quickly coming to an end. Blogs like this one are a welcome breath of fresh air–but we need many, many more of them.

revtom
    Keymaster

Thank you .I have seen the compromise of this historic ministry and had the same disappointment – they signed on years ago- maybe 35 years to the tutoring of management guru Peter Drucker. Salvation Army became first or one of the first ministries to adopt his ideals now so popular with Rick Warren and others to engage the church and non profits in social work. Also the McDonalds widow gave Salvation Army a Billion dollar endowment – in her will. Likely some strings attached to that kind of private endowment .Blessings

JV
      Participant

I have been told by a dear, elderly friend who has been a member (soldier) in the Salvation Army since 1955 that the direction of the SA changed when it began receiving government funds. She also said that several years ago when Forbes Magazine named the SA, “America’s Favorite Charity,” it began to become more of a social services agency than a ministry.
      However, I have known some local officers (pastors) with the Army who did preach the gospel but were torn by the Army’s requirement that their officers basically be a pastor AND a business person. The number of reports they had to turn in were mind-boggling, and it took time away from other aspects of ministry. There was an intense focus on “programs” and “stats” than there was outreach, evangelism, discipleship, and other pastoral activities. For pastors who were trying to do both, burnout is right around the corner. Also, the hierachal nature of the Army structure has an effect of creating beauracrycy and it becomes political.
      The emphasis on man’s methods to fund the ministry (ie: fundraisers, etc.) seems to remove any and all trusting in God. There are, however, officers/pastors and soldiers of the SA who do what they can to contend for the faith, sound doctrine, as well as the caring for the needy. I wish somehow the church can find a a way to do both in a bibilical fashion.

revtom
    Keymaster

JV
    That is a very good point- these changes overtake us when we stop trusting God and obeying in Faith and turn to the arm of the flesh as the KJV calls it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.